7.14.2008

Thoughts on 30...

So turning 30, that's what I'm doing. I'm leaving my 20's behind and heading into an unknown territory of the 30's where all kinds of life happens and things get more serious and hopefully more fun at the same time. My Aunt Gena wrote in my birthday card that turning 30 is great because you've matured in many ways but still feel really youthful at the same time. That's how I feel I guess. I've grown so much in the last decade, so many big things in my life have changed... most for the better, thanks be to God for that. But I still feel young. I don't feel like college, or even high school for that matter, are that long ago. I still remember a lot of my thoughts and feelings from those times. I feel like there is so much life to be lived now, so many blessings still coming from the Lord. There is so much I want from the next decade of my life, so much I'm dreaming and hoping for. I can't believe I'll be 40 in ten more years. It's weird to think about since 20 doesn't seem very long ago at all. I guess what my parents say is right, life just starts moving faster the older you get. And that's fine if the years seem to go by fast, but one of my hopes for this year is that the busyness of life doesn't take over; that the days don't move too fast. I talked with the Lord a lot this weekend about resting, having the faith to really rest, to enjoy, to really be present in life... NOT just waiting for the next event or activity to come. I've been in a waiting season for so long now, and I'm tired of waiting. I want to live in "now", not "when..." It's so easy to get caught up in that. And I think one of the secrets to that is resting, really resting: being quiet, thinking, praying, being... whatever, just so long as I am making time in my life to rest. That's what I want in this next year of life, it's what I'm asking the Lord for... I want to learn about rest, real rest in Him that renews, rejuvenates, restores, and out of which springs real life.

Just my two cents...

4 comments:

Adam said...

So true, good thoughts. I really like the part about being "present in life... NOT just waiting for the next event or activity to come."

Ashley said...

Great thoughts Kim! Happy 30th again...your Santa Barbara trip sounds like a perfect celebration!

Unknown said...

Kim: I have never posted anything on anyone's blog, mostly because I have never been so moved to do so! But now I am. What a lovely meditation on your most recent birthday. You are embodying the term, "aging gracefully!" I love you and my ultimate birthday hope for you is that your wish for this next year comes true.

Todd said...

Great thoughts from a great sister! Rest, and enjoy your 30's :)