7.14.2008

Santa Barbara... vacationing with the Strombacks

So Santa Barbara for my 30th birthday is just about the best thing I can imagine.  My parents rented a great house in Montecito within walking distance to Coast Village Road and Butterfly Beach.  It was an amazing location.  Brent and I actually drove up there Thursday night and spent one night in a hotel in Carpinteria.  We had breakfast at Jack's and then walked up and down Linden.  Todd met us there and we hung out until my parents arrived.  We all met at the house on Friday morning to move in.  

This beautiful tree was in the backyard of this house and I just loved it.

That first day we went down to the beach so Brent and Todd could swim.  It is just so beautiful there.  I soaked it all in and felt so thankful and happy.

Sadly we met a wounded pelican on the beach.  Brent was so excited (of course) when we saw a flock of them fly by.  Then a few minutes later came a solo pelican.  There were some sticks sticking out of the sand on the beach and this guy hit one of them.  He did a crash landing in the surf and got rocked by a few waves before getting onto the sand here.  Todd was very concerned (as he has always loved animals and has a big heart for the wounded).  He went down the beach to see if he was okay.  The large bird layed there like this pic for a good 5 minutes.  He didn't budge even when people got really close.  We think he was stunned by the battle with the stick.  After a few mins he got up to stretch his wings and in a soon after that he took flight again, much to our surprise.  Todd was greatly relieved!  
One morning Todd, Mom and I walked to Coffee Bean for breakfast and chatting.  They have the best Coffee Bean I've even been in there in Montecito.
Then we walked the long way around by the cemetery and then down to Butterfly Beach again.  It was a gorgeous morning.
We also went to Westmont one day which we ALL love.  Brent bought me some new pants from the bookstore and he got a golf shirt from my alma mater. It still feels like home there.
Mom and I under the wisteria
We tried to reinact an engagement photo that was taken in this very spot.  But alas... we look so much older now!  Oh... and another fun surprise for my 30th birthday, who knew that I have curly hair!  It was really fun to figure that out and start sporting a new look.
Took this for Grandma June... she LOVES this flower!

Westmont is going to be building a new chapel and apparently this is what it is going to look like.  I can't wait to see it in real life.  Pictures of the changes are posted all around the campus where changes are going to be made.  
One my fav spots!
Family  :)
We made a stop in the little chapel.  No one was in there so we talked for a bit.  It's such a cool place.

More to come in the next posts!  

1 comment:

Todd said...

It was so nice to hanging out with you in SB... let's a lot more of that in this life!